Saturday 4 May 2013

Melancholic euphoria – now there's an emotion!

There's so many things to say about Suki & the Christmas Treasure Trove, because there are so many themes, some prominent, some underlying. The novel is bleak in places, dark in others, and while it's unspoken, it's a novel defined by certain pieces of music. I'm listening to one such piece of music now, as I write this and, where it fits in, I'm not sure, but I know it's towards the end, on a beach, which, ironically is similar to the title of the compilation album from which the track is taken: Staring at the Sea by The Cure.

In Between Days is the track in question, particularly the opening drums and the crashing introduction, like waves hitting the sand. The track is both sad and euphoric and that in so many ways, defines the novel and the  character of Peechu who we see at the end of the book, alone on the beach, flying his kite on a windy Boxing Day morning.

While the book has its funny moments, there is a melancholy thread that runs throughout. By the end of the story, the melancholy turns to euphoria, but euphoria tinged with something, an uncertainty for the future, perhaps, I don't know.

Whether anybody else shares these feelings of mine, I don't know. When I wrote the book I wanted to convey something, an emotion that I've been feeling for a long time, and I think I did it, but whether it's an emotion that others can detect and share or feel themselves, I don't know.

All novels are open to interpretation and I'm sure different people will read Suki & the Christmas Treasure Trove and perceive it in different ways.

M J Moggridge

No comments:

Post a Comment